Chinese visa

Clarity on new visa classes from Ministry of Foreign Affairs notice

Last week the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a bilingual notice that spells out China's new visa structure.

Beijing-based immigration lawyer Gary Chodorow has published an article highlighting some of recent changes in the Chinese visa structure in an easy-to-read layout.

The post breaks down the most common visas, explaining both what the previous law and the new statue/regulations are, as well as providin…

Chinese visa

More info on China’s new visa rules

City Weekend has a fantastic overview of the changes to the Chinese visa system put in place yesterday.

The changes, adopted by the National's People Congress last June, are primarily to curb illegal stay and illegal employment of foreigners in China. Key points of the changes are:

F Visas, for commercial/business visits, are now called M Visas.
F Visas are now for short-term, non-commercial purposes (scient… +

New Buy-Sell-Trade sites for expats in Shanghai, Beijing

The two sites were created by the expat behind the Sinolicious and KalanStar blogs, and aim to provide foreigners living in or moving to China's two largest expat hubs with a free and easy-to-use method of getting and getting rid of their stuff.

"As communities go, China's expat ones are highly fluid and transient. This being the case, members come and go often and either need to get a bunch of dongxi for thei…

Beijing Morning by J Aaron Farr

China’s first-tier cities barely suitable for living, report says

Despite a strong showing in the "Top 10 attractive cities to foreigners" list, a new report indicates that no Mainland first-tier cities are suitable for habitation.

The report on China's urban competitiveness, from Chinese think tank the National Academy of Economic Strategy under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, states that the metropolises of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou all failed to rank as "hab…

Please Speak Mandarin T-Shirt by Sinosplice's John Pasden

On the Chinese vs. foreigner language wars

After my last post for Lost Laowai, where I expressed my annoyance with the irritating and pointless public announcements in Chinese public transport, I will now move on to another aspect of life in China which I find irritating: the tendency of the Chinese to address foreigners in English even when it would be easier for both to speak Chinese.

This particular irritation is perhaps not shared by all the foreig…

China life hacks from Kaiser Kuo via Quora + a few of my own

In response to "What tips and tricks have you learned that have made it easier to live in China?" recently asked on Quora, long-time China expat and Beijing resident Kaiser Kuo dished out some fantastic advice -- his last one, quite possibly the toughest to follow, is my fav.

Stay tuned after Kaiser's advice for a couple items of my own, but really these pretty much nail it:

Read Quote of Kaiser Kuo's answer to…

Link: All you need to know about China’s new Exit-Entry Law

As a bit of a follow-up to my post the other day, Tighter visa restrictions or just more of the same?, here is a link to a guest post by Gary Chodorow at the Shanghaiist which outlines everything you need to know about China's new Exit-Entry Law:

All you need to know about China's new Exit-Entry Law

You can also check out Gary's comment on the post mentioned above, as well as his blog.…

Chinese visa

Tighter visa restrictions or just more of the same?

According to Shanghai Daily, the National People's Congress Standing Committee is currently discussing a draft law that will shorten the minimum stay for foreigners who come to China to 90 days, with the residence permits ranging in validity from six months to five years.

The draft law was designed with the aim of curbing the illegal entry, stay and employment of foreigners and stipulating harsher punishments for …

China Fingerprints

From Foreign Friends to Foreign Felons – new law wants your foreign fingerprints

Because living in China didn't feel uneasy enough, a new draft law currently under review will require any foreigners staying longer than 6 months in China to have their fingerprints taken by the Entry & Exit Bureau and kept on file.

China Daily: Foreigners who stay in China for more than six months will be required to give their fingerprints to local police when applying for residence certificates, according to a…

On being harmful to social management

According to a post on Global Voices, Sven Englund, a Swede studying in Shanghai's Fudan University, has been interrogated and has had his passport confiscated by Shanghai police after writing a "letter" to the Chinese President Hu Jintao in his Chinese-language blog.

Not wishing to bring any undue wrath down on me or mine, I'll not re-post Sven's letter, which GV has translated. Essentially it asks China's presid…