Well, imagine my surprise when I saw that CBC was going to stream the playoffs live on their website.
But then imagine my disappointment when I found out that it was only available if you’re watching from inside Canada.
But then imagine my surprise when I found that you can work around that little stipulation with a Canadian Proxy.
- Step 1 – go to the CBC Stanley Cup 2007 Streaming Media Page
- Step 2 – Right Click the WATCH NOW link under the LIVE tab, and copy the link shortcut. It should look something like this:
Note: that’s from an archived game (see ARCHIVED tab), which you can watch as well!
- Step 3 – Go to the proxy page, and paste the url in the text box
- Step 4 – Go to the drop-down box labelled Select only proxies from COUNTRY, and choose ca (that means Canada!)
Click Here for a Visual Aid
- Step 5 – Click START SURF, and you should have hockey on your computer in a jiff!
So if you know any poor, hockey starved expats, please be sure to let them in on this little secret. You’d be making a Lost Laowai in China feel a little less lost!
October 2008 Update: You can also try watching NHL games on Hulu.com. First install Hotspot Shield’s VPN, and you should be good to go. I’ve run the RSS feed for hockey games through this netvibes page, if you’d like to browse the latest games.