Stir-fried eggs and tomato, or 西红柿炒鸡蛋, is a humble Chinese home-style dish. It’s such a quick and easy dish to prepare, but most importantly it tastes great.
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 3 eggs
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- Poach tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes, remove them from the pot, let them cool and peel off the skin, cut them into 2 cm thick wedges.
- Finely chop scallions, reserving a bit for garnish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add eggs and 1 tbsp water. Lightly beat eggs, set aside.
- Turn up heat to medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok, fry the eggs. While frying, use spoon or spatula to break eggs into bite-sized pieces. Remove eggs from wok and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same wok, keeping heat on medium-high. Fry the chopped scallions for 30 seconds, add tomatoes, stir fry until soft. Add salt, sugar, and 2 tbsp water, mixing well and stirring occasionally. When the juice is released from the tomatoes, mix in scrambled eggs.
- Place the stir-fried eggs and tomatoes on a serving plate, sprinkle the reserved scallions over dish and serve immediately.